multiple MX records versus DNS round robin

Erwin Richard Erwin.Richard at service.rba.ch
Mon Jun 28 19:41:05 UTC 1999

Hello,

We are considering implementing a redundant sendmail server in parallel to
our existing mailhost. It should share the normal load as well as provide a
backup if one of the servers is down. As I see it now, we have two
possibilities:

1. define multiple MX records with the same preference level

2. define multiple A records for our mailhost

What's the better solution? Solution 1 would require to change all zone
files that have MX records that point to our mailhost but I'm willing to do
this if it gives us considerable benefits. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Erwin