Unregistered local domain yet internet access?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Jun 23 22:53:35 UTC 1999

In article <3771439f.2147577412 at news.swbell.net>,
Payne Freret <payne at cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
>Barry Margolin <barmar at bbnplanet.com> wrote:
>
>> Why do you need to go to the cable DNS server?  If you run BIND on your
>> machine it can go to the root DNS servers all by itself.
>
>I've wondered about this question.  I would think that if my in-house
>DNS server has slower access to the Internet than does my ISP's DNS
>server, I would better off letting my ISP's nameserver resolve a name.
>Is this true?

The time it takes to perform a query is limited by the slowest part of the
connection.  Since you have to go through your slow ISP link to talk to the
ISP's DNS server, that's the bottleneck in either case.

However, if your ISP's server happens to have the record you're looking for
cached, because some other customer asked for the same thing recently, you
will get a faster response if you use the ISP server.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com