RR conflicts

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri Jul 30 22:02:45 UTC 1999

> I have the following entries in my zone file:
>
> emc     MX      10 morgank
> morgank A          1.2.3.4
> emc     CNAME      morgank
>
> bind 4.9.6 had no problems with the above.  bind 8.2.1, however,
> complains:
>
> named[27358]: emc.ms.com has CNAME and other data (invalid)
> master zone "ms.com" (IN) rejected due to errors (serial 933102907)
>
> Why cannot I have CNAME and MX records with the same names?

	Because it is not legal and never worked the way you thought
	it did.  If you actually look at the log from 4.9.6 you
	will see it complaining as well.  It's just that it is a hard
	error now.

	CNAME is a record that says "the real name for this domain
	is ... and look there for the data".  In the example above
	the MX record should be associated with morgank not emc.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org