Running BIND as non-root user

Erik erik at vip.net
Wed Jul 28 22:53:01 UTC 1999

I've rebuilt a BIND 8.2.1 SRPM for RedHat 6.0 which is installed and running.
I would now like to run BIND as user "named" instead of "root".  I can do this
initially by using the extension 'named -u named' in the startup script,
however, when I use ndc it reverts back to using root.  The documentation in
the README simply says you must edit ndc......????

I have been using the bind-chroot-8.1.2-9.src.rpm which came with patches and
scripts to setup the chrooted directory using the user 'named' automatically.
I have not found a newer version of this RPM (using 8.2.1) and have attempted
to create another src.rpm using the patch files as examples from the later
version (8.1.2).  Most of the files are easy to patch except for the ndc.c
file which was ndc.sh in the previous version.

Is there some documentation on how to edit the new BIND to fully use an
alternate user??

Better yet, does anyone have a bind-chroot-8.2.1-x.src.rpm??

I have sent a message to the original author without response.

TIA,

Erik