Secondary wants "static" records

Chan Cao ccao at FASTech.Com
Tue Jul 20 20:36:50 UTC 1999

I'm handing over primary function to NT DNS and I trust neither the
software,
nor the administrator who will run it.

Maybe I should just make a case for no dependency between Unix and NT...ie.
no zone transfer.

Maybe the ISC folks can cook up something just for me?

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph S D Yao [mailto:jsdy at cospo.osis.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 1999 4:04 PM
To: ccao at FASTech.Com
Cc: bind-users at isc.org
Subject: Re: Secondary wants "static" records

> I hope some guru can help.  What happens during a xfer from primary to
> secondary?
> All records for intended zone got overwritten?

Yes.  Unless you are using the new Incremental Zone Transfer feature.
Then it only does a complete download the first time, and copies down
the changes on subsequent downloads.

> What if I want to protect a number of records for a particular zone while
> uploading
> the rest?  Will glue records help me?  I feel I'm doing something
> non-standard here
> but is there a way?

There's no provision for even specifying any records in a slave
("secondary") server that are not in the master.  The idea is that all
authoritative servers for a domain are supposed to be serving IDENTICAL
information.

Why do you want to make one [or more] have different information?
There is only one Truth.  ;-)

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B