CNAME Problem with bind 8.2.1

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Jul 19 15:19:25 UTC 1999

In article <7mnk2o$1ec$1 at news1.cableinet.co.uk>,
Ian Hagon <Ian.Hagon at cableinet.net> wrote:
>Hi,
>    Im having a problem with some zones I have. The problem seems to be that
>I have the following information presented here in an example zone for
>test.com
>
>@                IN         SOA     ns.madeup.net. hostmaster.madeupnet.net.
>(
>                                                   1998071501        ;serial
>                                                   14400                  ;
>Refresh 4 hours
>                                                   7200                    ;
>Expire 10 days
>                                                   28800 )                ;
>Minimum TTL 8 hours
>                                    IN    NS                ns.madeup.net.
>                                    IN    NS                ns2.madeup.net.
>www                            IN    A                  192.168.120.1
>test.com.                       IN    CNAME        www
>

>Now this zone will fail to load for me under 8.2.1 Im assuming this is
>because of the CNAME record being invalid in some way, Im also finding that

Yes.  A name can't have both a CNAME record and other records.  Since you
have to have SOA and NS records for test.com, you can't also have a CNAME
record for that name.

Move the A record to test.com and make ww be the CNAME record.

>a CNAME with a fully qualified domain name seems to cause errors for
>example.
>
>www2                            IN     CNAME        www.someother.net.

There's nothing wrong with that.  What is the specific error that it's
causing.

>From what I've read this is allowed but seems to be causing me errors.
>Also am I allowed multiple CNAME's to point at the same place as such
>
>www                            IN    A                  192.168.120.1
>firstwww                      IN    CNAME        www
>secondwww                 IN    CNAME        www
>thirdwww                     IN    CNAME        www

Yes, there's nothing wrong with multiple names pointing to the same place.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com