CNAME Problem with bind 8.2.1

Ian Hagon Ian.Hagon at cableinet.net
Fri Jul 16 15:40:46 UTC 1999

Hi,
    Im having a problem with some zones I have. The problem seems to be that
I have the following information presented here in an example zone for
test.com

@                IN         SOA     ns.madeup.net. hostmaster.madeupnet.net.
(
                                                   1998071501        ;serial
                                                   14400                  ;
Refresh 4 hours
                                                   7200                    ;
Expire 10 days
                                                   28800 )                ;
Minimum TTL 8 hours
                                    IN    NS                ns.madeup.net.
                                    IN    NS                ns2.madeup.net.
www                            IN    A                  192.168.120.1
test.com.                       IN    CNAME        www

Now this zone will fail to load for me under 8.2.1 Im assuming this is
because of the CNAME record being invalid in some way, Im also finding that
a CNAME with a fully qualified domain name seems to cause errors for
example.

www2                            IN     CNAME        www.someother.net.