Bind Logging

Jason Richards - Internet Alaska Sysadmin jasonr at alaska.net
Wed Jul 14 23:59:08 UTC 1999

These go in the, for instance, db.jackwhite.com?
I tried the below configuration and still got the error message.

Thanks.

@               IN      SOA     ns3.alaska.net. dnsadmin.alaska.NET. (
                1999071402 10800 3600 604800 86400 )
$TTL 86400
                IN      NS      ns1.alaska.net.
                IN      NS      ns4.alaska.net.
                IN      MX      10 jwnet.jackwhite.com.
                IN      MX      20 etrn.alaska.net.

*               IN      MX      10 jwnet.jackwhite.com.
jwnet           IN      A       209.112.207.122
www             IN      A       209.165.167.44

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Bill Larson wrote:

> The default TTL used in BIND-8 is now set by an explicit "$TTL"
> directive in the zone files.  Take a look at "man 8 named" or
> see <http://www.isc.org/view.cgi?/products/BIND/docs/bind8.2_master-file.phtml>
> for information about this directive.
>
> You logged message is simply telling you that you don't have an
> explicit "$TTL" in the zone files and the server is using the minimum
> TTL from the SOA record.  You really don't have a problem here, just a
> message.  If you want to stop the message, simply add a "$TTL 999",
> where "999" will be your default TTL, to stop the message from being
> generated.
>
> The SOA record specifies a number of values, one of which is called the
> "minimum" TTL.  In fact, this is NOT a minimum, but more like a default
> value since you can always specify a TTL for an individual RR that is
> less than the TTL specified in the SOA.
>
> BIND-8 appears to have modified the DNS protocol by changing the
> definition of what the TTL in the SOA means.  This really isn't too
> much of a difference because all of the versions of BIND only use the
> SOA's TTL as a default value.  Take a look at RFC1537 for more info
> about this.  RFC2308 - "DNS NCACHE" also has some comments about
> the specification of a minimum TTL, and specifies that a "$TTL"
> directive is used in the zone master file.
>
> This is really a "good" thing for them to have done, but it does
> cause confusion for people moving to BIND-8 from BIND-4 (myself
> included).
>
> Bill Larson (wllarso at swcp.com)
>
> In article <Pine.LNX.4.05.9907141046350.22929-100000 at laptopie.alaska.net> you write:
> >We just updgraded to bind 8.2, and everytime I reload dns now, I get a
> >message for every domain saying something to the effect of:
> >
> >No default TTL set user SOA minimum instead
> >
> >Why is this?  I thought the default TTL was set in the SOA record of each
> >db file, which it is, but I still get this message.

Jason A. Richards		  		  System Administration
jasonr at alaska.net                  		   Internet Alaska, Inc
Phone: 907.562.4638		      		      Fax: 907.276.4807
          "Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I."