Mysterious DNS Problem

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Jul 9 20:44:06 UTC 1999

In article <F931488C3634D11180D700A02461E245016C641C at chitmd03.nt.il.nbgfn.com>,
Martin, Kevin <kevinm at crt.com> wrote:
>I agree, to a certain extent.  If the problem in question is happening in a
>DNS setup that is NOT reachable from the Internet then REAL information
>won't necessarily help at all ( at least in the context of giving real host
>names, domain names, and IP addresses ).  As a debugger, you can't reach it
>anyway and, in the case where it's internal, probably is not a registered
>domain anyway ( which really would only matter where the problem was related
>to something going on w/ ARIN )!  I understand that real information is
>necessary when somebody is trying to get help w/ a publicly known domain,
>but lets try to be understanding w/ people who are trying to do the right
>thing by not publicly broadcasting their private network information.

He said he registered these servers with the InterNIC, and the problems
he's having are with the data being cached by various ISPs.  This means
that he's not asking about something on a private, unreachable network.

Here's my guess about what's happening:

The master server for the domain only lists a single NS record in the zone
file.  This is the one that caching servers are keeping in their cache, in
preference to the servers that are listed in the delgation records on the
root servers.

If he posts the name of his domain and the specifics of the problem we
might be able to give a better answer than just a guess like this.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com