Bind 8 special characters

Robert Annandale snarfle99 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 30 19:10:49 UTC 1999

> > System: Red Hat 6.0
> > Version: Bind 8
> > Problem:  Special Characters
> > We are implementing dns on this red hat box.
> > Some computer names on this existing network
> > have "underscore" characters (_) in their host
> > name.  Is it possible to use underscore characters
> > in this version of bind.

Later versions of BIND check that host names are compliant with RFC 952.

Underscores are not allowed in host name record unless they are in CNAMEs.

Hyphens are allowed in host names provided the hyphen is not the last
character.

You can still use underscores in e-mail address within an SOA record.

RBA.