Have several questions about setup- Bind 8.1.2

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Dec 27 19:24:49 UTC 1999

On Fri, Dec 24, 1999 at 10:05:28AM -0500, Adrian Griffis wrote:
> Hello Joe,
>
> First off, thank you for responding to my post. I didn't post the actual
> domain name because I was worried about security, call it paranoia.
> Anyway, our domain is appleton.fsu.edu, as you can see it falls under
> fsu.edu but we are at a different location (we are a museum owned by FSU).
> Under our old network setup (I mentioned in my last post) FSU had entries in
> their DNS, just name-to-address, for us to point to the dial-up ISP servers,
> since then I have contacted Fsu and had them change that info to the servers
> on our network now(that was Monday). They told me that they well only do
> name-to-address translations(say for e-mail and www) and we were responsible
> for everything else.
>
> Here are the files I have.
>
> db.appleton.fsu.edu
> db.204.96.30
> db.127.0.0
> db.cache
>
> As far as the MX records go, in my db.appleton.fsu.edu file. It is listed as
>
>              @ SOA ns1.appleton.fsu.edu
					 ^ missing trailing dot
>                 IN NS ns1.appleton.fsu.edu
					    ^ missing trailing dot
> ns1           IN A 204.96.30.10
> seminole   IN  A 204.96.30.2  ;seminole is our e-mail server
>                 IN MX seminole
> #              IN MX seminole
>
> I stuck in the wildcard for the MX ,after we could not get any e-mail.
> I seen in DNS and BIND book to try the wildcard, So I did.

Well, no, you didn't.  You stuck in a wildcard for seminole, and a
second one for the host named "#".  No wildcards ("*").  They're not a
good idea, anyway, except in certain circumstances.  As D&B also says, I
think.

> I hope this is enough info. Sorry it's so lengthy.......
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Adrian

I did an 'nslookup -type=any appleton.fsu.edu'.  Here is what returned:

appleton.fsu.edu        preference = 0, mail exchanger = 204.96.30.2.fsu.edu
appleton.fsu.edu        internet address = 204.96.30.2
fsu.edu nameserver = dns1.fsu.edu
fsu.edu nameserver = dns2.fsu.edu
fsu.edu nameserver = nu.cs.fsu.edu
fsu.edu nameserver = dns.scri.fsu.edu
fsu.edu nameserver = nsx.lbl.gov
fsu.edu nameserver = trantor.umd.edu
dns1.fsu.edu    internet address = 128.186.6.103
dns2.fsu.edu    internet address = 128.186.8.8
nu.cs.fsu.edu   internet address = 128.186.121.10
dns.scri.fsu.edu        internet address = 144.174.128.17
nsx.lbl.gov     internet address = 131.243.64.3
trantor.umd.edu internet address = 128.8.10.14

Note that there is an MX record for "appleton", but that it is an IP
address - ILLEGAL.  Note, too, that fsu.edu has NOT delegated DNS for
your domain.  They need to fix this, once you fix your DNS server.  I
have not yet looked directly at your DNS server, to verify your errors
above.

As for MX records ... you had the right idea with "seminole".  Once the
central domain HAS delegated authority, you can enter an "MX" record for
each host, the same way you did for "seminole".

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B