named errors??

Mark.Andrews at iengines.com Mark.Andrews at iengines.com
Thu Dec 23 00:14:43 UTC 1999

> help please.
>
> here are the errors i am getting...
>
> Zone "domain.com" (db.domain): no NS RRs found at zone top
> master zome "domain.com" (IN) rejected due to errors (serial 1)
>
> named[pid]: Ready to answer queries
>

> Anyone know what would cause this to happen every time i start named?
> forgive my ignorance with dns and bind, any help would be appreciated...
> I am using a FreeBSD 3.3 box.

	Every zone has as a mimimum a SOA RR (resource record) and
	a NS RRset (resource record set) at top of zone (zone name).
	The zone listed does not have these NS records.

	Often this is the result of not taking into account how names
	are inherited from one record to the next in a master file.
	Records with out a owner name inherit the last owner name.

	e.g.
	Bad:
	$TTL 7200
	$ORIGIN example.
	@	SOA	ns1.example. hostmaster.ns1.example. (
			1 3600 1200 3600000 3600 )
	www	A	10.0.0.1
		NS	ns1.example.
		NS	ns2.example.
	ns1	A	10.0.0.2
	ns2	A	10.0.0.3

	The NS record actually have a ownername of "www.example".

	e.g.
	Good:
	$TTL 7200
	$ORIGIN example.
	@	SOA	ns1.example. hostmaster.ns1.example. (
			1 3600 1200 3600000 3600 )
		NS	ns1.example.
		NS	ns2.example.
	www	A	10.0.0.1
	ns1	A	10.0.0.2
	ns2	A	10.0.0.3

	Here the NS records are associated with the domain and have a owner
	name of "example".

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Internet Engines Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at iengines.com