Use allow-query on primary servers?

Martin Horneffer Horneffer at rrz.Uni-Koeln.DE
Wed Dec 22 08:17:28 UTC 1999

Cricket Liu wrote:

> The technique Martin described *is* a good idea:  Limiting
> queries for domain names not in your authoritative zones.
> Turning recursion off is somewhat more effective, if you
> can do it, but his isn't a bad solution.

Just turning off recursion doesn't prevent certain DoS attacks that
exploit the fact that DNS replies can be larger than queries.

> Martin, what sorts of weird responses are you seeing?

I tried this once for our domain "uni-koeln.de" on our primary server
134.95.100.209, but quickly turned it off again.

Queries concerning our zones were correctly let through where the
queried
name exists. But when asked for a non-existent name within our domain,
our nameserver answered "Query refused" instead of "Non-existent
host/domain". E.g.:

linus:~% nslookup foo.uni-koeln.de 134.95.100.209
Server:  noc.rrz.Uni-Koeln.DE
Address:  134.95.100.209

*** noc.rrz.Uni-Koeln.DE can't find foo.uni-koeln.de: Query refused
linus:~%

Martin
Martin Horneffer -- Horneffer at rrz.uni-koeln.de