Windows NT DNS cache timers

Todd Adamson tadamson at routers.com
Tue Dec 21 17:59:40 UTC 1999

Since I am not all that familiar with how well DNS works on NT 4.0, I am hoping someone out
there can answer this question.

Is there a setting somewhere within dns that determines how long it will hold information in
its cache?  I am working with a client that is using NT4.0 DNS, and they have run into an
occasional problem that the dns is giving out bad information because the cache has not
timed out.

Now I know that a DNS server is supposed to hold an entry for as long as is told from the
SOA records, and then remove the entry from the cache.  It looks as though the cache
entry is ignoring the value and living indefinately in the cache until the service is stopped and
restarted.

Is this a known problem?  Is there a fix?  Do I need to look somewhere else?

I have not found any information on this issue yet on MS site, but I am still looking.  Any
help would be appreciated.

Todd Adamson
tadamson at routers.com