DNS configuration error

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Dec 21 02:35:01 UTC 1999

Thomas Langås wrote:

> Barry Margolin wrote:
>
> > In article <385EAD5E.3F8679AA at online.no>,
> > Thomas =?iso-8859-1?Q?Lang=E5s?=  <tlan at online.no> wrote:
> > >I've bought a domain under .com, let's call it domain.com, and then I've
> > >set it up on a DNS. It's working and everything is OK. But, then, I want
> > >the box who is being refered to as domain.com to handle all request for
> > >subdomains of domain.com, how do I do that?  I've tried to just setup a
> > >named on my box, but that didn't help much... And, I'm no named-wiz so,
> > >please, I need some help...  If you want, I can give you all the
> > >configfiles, just let me know.
> >
> > When you registered the domain, you supplied a list of nameservers.  That
> > list should include your box, so everyone will be referred to your box, or
> > one of the slave servers that transfer the domain from your box, when they
> > want to look up something in your domain.
> > Is that what you needed to know, or am I misunderstanding your question?
>
> The DNS servering the actual domain.com is registered at internic, and the
> domain.com itself resolves like it should, and routes to my box. So I thought it
> was possible to handle all subdomain-requests for domain.com with a named on my
> box. If this is possible, how should I set things up?

I'm going to take a wild guess here: you registered this domain through someone who
is providing the nameservice for the domain, right? And now you want to take
control of a subdomain? If that's correct, then what you need to do is set up your
machine with a root hints file and as a master for the subdomain, then tell your
provider to *delegate* that subdomain to the machine. For redundancy, you should
really have at least two machines serving the zone; perhaps you can convince your
provider to be a slave?

Of course, maybe I'm totally wrong here. You haven't been very clear exactly how
your domain is currently set up, and you haven't given the real name of the domain,
so that we could find this information out ourselves. This makes it very hard to
give a good answer.

- Kevin