Fake TLD's in the hint file

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Dec 20 23:17:12 UTC 1999

On Mon, Dec 20, 1999 at 10:49:05PM +0000, Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <19991220162235.P20708 at adams.cospo.osis.gov>,
> Joseph S D Yao  <jsdy at cospo.osis.gov> wrote:
> >But in BIND 4, as in BIND 8, all you really have to do is declare the
> >zone normally:
> >
> >primary		fakeTLD		zone.fakeTLD
>
> He's trying to get something equivalent to BIND 8's "type forward" domain.
> I don't see how that would do it, since it would make his server primary
> for the domain, and it wouldn't forward to another machine.

You may be right.  I'm trying to read e-mail from the wrong end of a
fire hose.  ;-)  But it had seemed to me that all he really wanted was
to be able to declare that his name server ns1.mydomain.com served the
fake TLD.

> I think BIND 4.8 would allow you to put random domains in the cache file,
> and would use them, but that went away in 4.9.x.

You could compile 4.9.7 with one flag changed, and then you could put
arbitrary domain information in any zone file.  E.g.,

local.		IN NS		ns1.mydomain.com.

But I won't even bother looking up that flag - he should use the current
V8, right now being 8.2.2-P5.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B