Fake TLD's in the hint file

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Dec 20 16:53:52 UTC 1999

On Sat, Dec 18, 1999 at 07:54:18AM +0000, mtoren at my-deja.com wrote:

> I am trying to specify a fake Top Level Domain in
> my root cache file.  My understanding was that
> something like the following should work:
>
> .fakeTLD 99999       NS NS1.myrealdomain.com.
> NS1.myrealdomain.com. 99999 IN A 10.10.10.10
>
> Assuming, of course, that NS1.myrealdomain.com is
> set up as a master for .fakeTLD.
>
> In my tests I can't get this to work.  The '.'
> servers (root-servers.net) always seem to override
> my more specific hint for the .fakeTLD domain.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
> Monte Toren
> mtoren at hotmail.com

What you need to do is have a "fakeTLD" domain in your "named.conf".  Of
course, this will only be available to users that need to come to or via
your name server, as there will be no "parent" record anywhere pointing
to this domain.

Hmmm ... having said this, I'm tempted to try it.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B