CNAME

Dat Nguyen dnguyen at drawbridge3.simpletech.com
Mon Dec 20 18:26:18 UTC 1999

I understand what you are saying.   But if I specify www.web as a CNAME
and pointing it to a fix record, it will defeat the purpose of load balancing
dns (lbnamed).
What I got from lbnamed document was to delegate a virtual subdomain
for lbnamed to serve (which is web.mydomain.com).
www is a group of hosts under web.mydomain.com.  Each time a request for
www.web.mydomain.com is made, lbnamed will decide to return an ip address
of the host with the least "load".
Since I wanted to do load balancing for our web site, I do not want people to
type www.web.mydomain.com but www.mydomain.com instead. (This would
make life much simpler).  What I did was adding an NS record
web          IN      NS      ns3.mydomain.com.
 From what I understand about name server, if a request is made to anything
under web.mydomain.com, ns3.mydomain.com will be the responsible name
server resolving the request.
The funny thing is that I have no problem finding the www.mydomain.com without
using the proxy server.  But as soon as I use our proxy server, I get this
problem.
Could you tell me of a better way of doing this?
Thanks so much