CNAME

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Dec 17 05:12:19 UTC 1999

On Thu, Dec 16, 1999 at 05:36:27PM -0800, Dat Nguyen wrote:
> Please tell me if anything wrong with the www CNAME below.
> web.mydomain.com is being served by ns3.mydomain.com.
> www.web.mydomain.com is a dynamic record under web.mydomain.com
> (lbnamed).
> I have no problem finding www.mydomain.com using nslookup.  However,
> when I use the browser to get to www.mydomain.com, I get the "Host not Found"
> error message.
> No problem getting www.web.mydomain.com.
> Could this be a proxy problem rather than a DNS problem?

No.  See below.

> Thanks,
>
> @               IN      SOA     ns1.mydomain.com. root.ns1.mydomain.com.
> (
>                  19981028414     ; SOA serial number
>                  600             ; SOA refresh rate
>                  300             ; SOA retry
>                  3600            ; SOA expire
>                  3600            ; SOA minimum
> )
>                  IN      NS      ns1.mydomain.com.
>                  IN      A       x.x.x.x
>                  IN      NS      ns2.mydomain.com.
>                  IN      A       x.x.x.x
>
> (I deleted most of records to make it short)
>
> web          IN      NS      ns3.mydomain.com.
>                  IN      A       x.x.x.x
>
> www           IN      CNAME   www.web.mydomain.com.

OK, if I am guessing correctly from what you say above, this zone file
is for the domain "mydomain.com".  So you are asking "www.mydomain.com"
to be an alias for "www.web.mydomain.com".  BUT, nowhere do you define
the latter!

I would have thought you would want "www.mydomain.com" to be an alias