BIND runtime data

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven asmodai at bart.nl
Mon Dec 20 12:25:07 UTC 1999

Hi,

I have experience something with our 8.2.2-p5 BIND named which surprises
me and which basically isn't behaviour that BIND should show.

We run BIND 8.2.2-p5 on FreeBSD 3-STABLE from 25 October.

The fact is that after a few days/weeks of continuous operation BIND
seems to not release certain data.

E.g. today I got someone who complained taht out nameservers couldn't
properly resolve www.progrez.nl.

So I ssh'd into out primary ns box and tried a host and nslookup on this
domain and host www.progrez.nl gave me back the IP address, but nslookup
www.progrez.nl yielded a non-existant host/domain.  I know host and
nslookup differ in their use of resolve routines to do the name<>ip
address resolving.

So I then kill'd named.  And restarted it and after that nslookup
resolving for that domain worked again.

My questions:

- Does anyone have any clue if I am seemingly the only one? =)

- Does anyone have clues with regard to better troubleshoot this problem
  and making sure that this problem is caused by my own doings. =)

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven          Network- and systemadministrator
<asmodai at bart.nl>                      bART Internet Services /