Bind 8.2.2-P5 Mystery - HELP

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Dec 15 21:52:05 UTC 1999

In article <3857CEEE.A9473744 at hct.ac.ae>,
Mohammed Ghanawi  <mohammed.ghanawi at hct.ac.ae> wrote:
>if I run nslookup on that client it connects to the correct DNS server
>and resolves names (from within nslookup) with no problem, once I am out
>of nslookup and try to ping local clients by name it fails with the
>message UNKNOWN HOST (This happen to all clients using that DNS server).
>I am running Solaris 2.6

The only important difference I can think of is that programs that do these
lookups go through the generic name lookup service, they don't invoke the
DNS resolver directly.  Thus, they'll try all the different lookup methods
mentioned in /etc/nsswitch.conf, and they'll also use nscd if it's running.

So the problem is probably in one of those areas, not BIND itself.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com