A little problem continues~

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Dec 15 03:26:38 UTC 1999

On Fri, Dec 10, 1999 at 10:03:01PM -0500, wwebb at adni.net wrote:
> cap.gov is the Civil Air Patrol ...

Thought it might be, but wasn't sure whether it was allowed to be .gov.

> > Also add:
> > nameserver 198.88.0.19
>
> If I add that to the resolv.conf, then I can't many any nslookup
> entry.

OK, then I don't have the right IP address for your name server.  I
should have just told you to make that the IP address for your name
server.

Of course, your name server should either have a root cache "hint" zone,
or forward all unresolved zones out to another server.

> > OK, next step for reverse DNS.  Does your parent know you?
> >
> > nslookup -type=ns 0.88.198.in-addr.arpa
> > *** ns.osis.gov can't find 0.88.198.in-addr.arpa: Non-existent host/domain
>
> I must be in the Twilight Zone, when I make the same entry, I get:
>
> [root at glr /etc]# nslookup -type=ns 0.88.198.in-addr.arpa
> Server:  glr.cap.gov
> Address:  0.0.0.0
>
> 0.88.198.in-addr.arpa   nameserver = glr.cap.gov
> glr.cap.gov     internet address = 198.88.0.19

Of course you do.  You're on the server itself.

> >   That's the problem.  Ask Verio to fix that for you.
>
> Verio had changed that previously at the request of the ISP, and
> the reverse dns seemed to be working fine.  Apparently they "un-
> changed" it--I'll ask the ISP to help with the fix.
>
> Thanks, Bill Webb

Good.  Glad that helped.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B