Distributed DNS ?

Hz elton at technologist.com
Tue Dec 14 14:18:49 UTC 1999

Hi Kevin,

I am more refering your first paragragh of assumption.

Our current WAN environment has got many satalite sites bound to it by just
some serial link dedicated lines. If the router at either end goes down, or
if the line goes down, all the TCP/IP services within such satelite site
(those servers sit within their office premises, ie. within the same LAN
segment) will not be able to function since the well-known names cannot be
resolve. Our DNS servers is currently situated at strategic locations, what
I see as more like a hub.

What I'll like to achieve is - our satelite sites will still be able to run
all their TCP/IP service as far as the local servers are concern. I
understand that during such unschedule downtime, it would be impossible to
access any extranet resouces unless our solution is to have some stand-by
link implemented. I am starting to look into cheap and easy to implement
solution. I talk to someone, an MCSE (yes u are correct), before and he
actually mentioned about the Cache Domain Name Directory. This, according to
him, can be piggy back on the local offices' existing NT server and would
not take up too much of its resources. But then, I am not limiting myself to
only a Microzofic solution.

Regards,

news:3855A2C4.536F271F at daimlerchrysler.com...