Distributed DNS ?

DNS Administration dnsadm at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Dec 14 01:52:04 UTC 1999

Hz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am interested in searching for an economic solution of implementing a
> localized DNS. Some kind of fault tolerrance when our WAN link goes down.

It's hard to come up with a solution when you haven't described hardly
anything about the problem. What happens today when your WAN link goes down?
Is everyone internally suddenly unable to resolve names even in your own
domain? That would probably be because you are relying on your ISP to
provide internal as well as external name service. To fix this, you'd need
to set up an internal DNS server of your own on your side of the WAN.

Or, are your users just unable to resolve Internet names when your WAN link
goes down? There's not a lot that can be done about that, but how much does
it really matter? Since the users can't get to the sites anyway, the fact
that they can't even resolve the names just adds a little insult to injury.
You could run a caching-only server if you want, in which case some of the
names would still be resolvable for a while. Apart from the redundancy
aspect, there are also performance benefits to running a caching-only
nameserver.

Without more to go on, it's hard to get into any specifics.

> ANybody ever heard of a Cache Domain Name Directory before?

Nope. Is that a product name? A Microsoftized name for a caching-only
nameserver configuration, perhaps?

- Kevin