A little problem continues~

wwebb at adni.net wwebb at adni.net
Sat Dec 11 03:03:01 UTC 1999

> > /etc/resolv.conf  says:     domain glr.cap.gov
> > Isn't that correct?
>
> Sure it is.  [OBTW, what's cap.gov?]

cap.gov is the Civil Air Patrol which was created by Congress, acts
as an "instrumentality of the U.S" in performing search and rescue,
humanitarian activities, etc.  I'm one of their 60,000 volunteers.  In
my case, I've had to become a "quick study" on DNS & BIND as
I'm now the coordinator for the cap.gov domain.  So I'm grateful for
the assistance I've received from experts such as yourself.

> Also add:
> nameserver 198.88.0.19

If I add that to the resolv.conf, then I can't many any nslookup
entry.

> OK, next step for reverse DNS.  Does your parent know you?
>
> nslookup -type=ns 0.88.198.in-addr.arpa
> *** ns.osis.gov can't find 0.88.198.in-addr.arpa: Non-existent host/domain

I must be in the Twilight Zone, when I make the same entry, I get:

[root at glr /etc]# nslookup -type=ns 0.88.198.in-addr.arpa
Server:  glr.cap.gov
Address:  0.0.0.0

0.88.198.in-addr.arpa   nameserver = glr.cap.gov
glr.cap.gov     internet address = 198.88.0.19

>   That's the problem.  Ask Verio to fix that for you.

Verio had changed that previously at the request of the ISP, and
the reverse dns seemed to be working fine.  Apparently they "un-
changed" it--I'll ask the ISP to help with the fix.

Thanks, Bill Webb