once more: Forwarding

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Dec 8 01:13:34 UTC 1999

Thomas Stalder wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm a beginner and new to this group so I may have missed this topic
> once. I'm running BIND 8.2.2 on a Ultra5/Solaris7. (not P5 yet).
> I'm running primaries for a few domains, the secondaries are running
> on our ISP's machines. Works fine. This name server is located in the DMZ.
>
> We also have a domain for internal use only, with name servers in
> the Intranet.
> Now I wanted the 'external name server' to forward request for the
> internal zone to the 'internal name servers'. This should work on
> a zone base, as I understand the examples, but it doesn't.
> The querries are still directed to the world like all querries for
> 'unknown domains'. The 'forward zone' is ignored.
>
> Is forward per zone really supported or still buggy?

Should work fine with 8.2.2. My guess would be that there is some sort of
syntax error in your config file that is causing named to misinterpret or
simply "skip" the zone definition. Does syslog indicate any parsing problems?
If you want to make absolutely sure, then start up named with a debug level
of 2 or higher and look for "adding forwarder for zone" lines at or near the
top of the debug output.

- Kevin