Running two named - Listen-on Directive

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Dec 7 00:25:01 UTC 1999

Rajiv Ghai wrote:

> Hi Dave,
> Thanks for the help. I have tried IP Aliasing, and it seems to work with
> both named listening on port 53 although I have not tested it completely. I
> still get two error messages in /var.log.messages:
>
> named [287] ctl_writedone: /var/run/ndc: Broken pipe
> named [387] ctl_server: bind: Address already in use
>
> I saw a posting on the list from Kevin Darcy which states
> "You do have to watch out that the two instances don't step on each other,
> though, in terms of pid files, ndc channels and whatnot. Fortunately, these
> are all configurable."
>
> I wonder if you or Kevin could give me some guidance on getting rid of
> these error messages or do I simply ignore them.

Ah, you caught me: I'm still an old-timer who uses signals to control named
instead of ndc. As such, I've never actually configured any of the ndc
control-channel stuff. I do see in the documentation, however, how to
configure different port #'s and/or FIFO pathnames for control channels in the
"controls" statement. I would think that setting those to something
instance-unique should get rid of the error messages.

- Kevin