resolver ignoring 2nd nameserver

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Dec 6 18:59:56 UTC 1999

On Thu, Dec 02, 1999 at 01:29:09AM +0200, Mark Englund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In resolv.conf I have two nameservers listed.
>
> eg:
>
> nameserver 192.9.201.1
> nameserver 192.9.201.2
>
> nslookup only seems to use the first name server, and ignores the other
> entry, even when the lookup failed on the first!
>
> Using Bind 4.9.7 on HPUX 10.20
>
> Anybody else had this problem??
>
> Regards
>
> Mark
> menglund at icon.co.za

Since this is EXACTLY correct behaviour, everyone in the world should
see such behaviour.

Each name server should be "authoritative".  This means that it should
act as if it were THE authority, the ONE authority, the ONLY authority
that anyone EVER need ask about ANYTHING having to do with the subject.
It is final.  It is authoritative.  It knows everything.

The alternative is to have the resolver going around asking every
possible name server in sight, and some that are down, so the poor user
waits half a day to get any response from his workstation.  NOT good.

The only reason to list multiple name servers is to allow a second,
equally authoritative name server to respond if the first one is dead.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B