Problem with mail delivery

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Aug 31 15:23:55 UTC 1999

In article <c=US%a=_%p=Predict-DLI%l=VALIANT-990831141313Z-44 at valiant.predict-dli.com>,
Thomas J. Rude <tjrude at predict-dli.com> wrote:
>OLD Config works fine:
>man-gill.com.db

Huh?  There doesn't seem to be a MAN-GILL.COM domain registered.  There's a
MANGILL.COM domain, but the DNS server that it's delegated to
(SECONDARY.DNS.IAGNET.NET) doesn't have any information about the domain.

>; Records that were not automatically handled by MetaInfo DNS
>Configuration
>;
>mx1.predict-dli.com      IN     A   207.206.8.55
>valiant.predict-dli.com   IN     A   172.16.3.201

What are these records doing in the man-gill.com.db file?  This file should
only have records for names in the man-gill.com domain.

>man-gill.com                IN     A   207.206.8.34
>

>NEW Config mail doesn't work:
>predict-dli.com.db

The new configuration doesn't have any MX records for predict-dli.com.
There's an MX record for mx1.predict-dli.com that points back to itself,
but it doesn't have an A record.  The NS record for the domain points to
ns1.predict-dli.com, which is a CNAME record; NS records should point to A
records.  You need to create an A record that points to 207.206.8.34, so
that your NS record can point to this name.

Since the old configuration works, why don't you just set up the new domain
the same way?

>Yes, we used to be man-gill chemical and hence the man-gill domain.
>However, we are now predict-dli and hence the predict-dli domain.  VERIO
>NW hosts a major company web site out in seattle (www.predict-dli.com).
>I changed the configuration from old to new because I wanted to reflect
>our changes as a company.  Do I need to notify VERIO NW since I do have
>they are listed as our secondary DNS servers (network solutions)?  Also,
>from what I understand, any e-mail addressed to one of our employees is
>sent first to VERIO NW at which point their servers forward it to
>207.206.8.55 (our valiant machine) and Valiant moves it to the
>respective employee.

No, this is not how mail is delivered.  If the MX record points to valiant,
mail from the Internet will be sent directly there, it won't go through any
of Verio's servers.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com