Negative caching

Robert T. Clift rclift at nswc.navy.mil
Tue Aug 31 14:37:04 UTC 1999

I've been having a problem with one of our remote sites and name resolution. We
use tcp_wrappers to control telnet access and it requires a correct dns lookup
before completing the connection, if the site for some reason is unresolvable
it seems to stay unresolvable for an hour or more not allowing access. If I
restart the named service(8.1.2) it works fine. I read where the default cache
is set to one hour. Should I lower this value? Thanks,

--
Tom Clift
Unix System Admin.                                 (540)653-8146
T-11/NCI Information Systems Inc.                   rclift at nswc.navy.mil