running w/ win2k as master and bind8 as slave (was win2k's dns)

steve rader rader at teak.wiscnet.net
Tue Aug 31 14:07:00 UTC 1999

 > > Farid Hamjavar <hamjavar at unm.edu> wrote
 > > What are some of your thoughts on this?
 > > I am just technically curious about this.

 > From: cricket
 > I read that article, too, after seeing a pointer to it on Slashdot.  It
 > contains some important inaccuracies, in particular the implication that
 > BIND doesn't support dynamic update (it does, and has since BIND 8.1).  The
 > author of the article pretty clearly didn't do his homework.

Is there anything about win2k's use of dynmaic updates that
makes using a win2k primary and a BIND 8 slave Rude and/or Evil?

Is it reasonable to suspect that win2k's DNS use includes
plenty o' dynamic updates that are for "internal" use only?
Assuming this is so, should using BIND 8 as a slave of a win2k
DNS server be considered A Bad Thing?

The current consensis 'round these parts is to require our
win2k sites to run a lame server.  Oh, the joy.

later
steve
- - -
systems guy