BIND - how predominant?

Bill Manning bmanning at ISI.EDU
Thu Aug 19 21:16:49 UTC 1999

> WITHOUT going into a flame war about how BIND is (or isn't) superior to
> every other flavor of DNS around....
>
> Can someone point me to an AUTHORITATIVE resource which states the
> percentage of DNS servers on the net (or in the public & private world)
> which run a flavor of BIND on a flavor of Unix?  I need this info as
> research for a presentation.
>
> Erik J. Sawyer
> NTP Consulting

Tough call.  My own studies indicate that from a position of 99.2% (the
0.8% was indeterminate) penetration (sample size of 380021 zones - 3q97)
In the last run, (sample size of 649331 zones - 2q99) Bind has dropped
to 94.6%, with the other contenders (looks like four-six varients, two
of which are likely independent source trees) each less than 2.0% each.

Non-responsive/invisable servers went from 5% to 18% during the same
period.  YMMV