BIND - how predominant?

David R. Conrad David_Conrad at isc.org
Thu Aug 19 21:40:46 UTC 1999

Hi,

It is really hard to answer the question definitively.  I've seen
estimates from a low of around 85% up to 99%.  This is because (a) BIND
is free and has a really unrestrictive use license, (b) all Unix vendors
(including Linux, *BSD, etc.) ship some version of BIND and (c) until
W2K (at least, it remains to be seen how well the W2K DNS server will be
accepted but it seems to be pretty good during interoperability
testing), people weren't particularly happy with Microsoft's DNS server
in a production environment (and no, W2K does not use BIND).

There are a few other non-BIND DNS implementations, that I'm aware of
(including a Symbolics Lisp version, but I don't think it runs anywhere
anymore), including NTS's ShadowIP product and the Cisco (formerly
American Internet) product Michael mentions, but they have relatively
small penetration compared to BIND.

BTW: the Checkpoint (formerly Metainfo) product includes IXFR and is
based on BIND (and is, in fact, what the BINDv8.2 IXFR implementation is
based on) and would appear to support DHCP failover as well.  Also the
Process Software product has implemented the DHCP failover draft in
their (BIND based) DNS/DHCP/LDAP product, but not sure if they have
implemented IXFR.  Not sure if Nortel's NetID product does IXFR or
failover, but wouldn't be surprised.  Having not used any of these
products, I can't say how well the work (or don't).

Rgds,
-drc