Memory leak in 8.2.1 running under Solaris 2.7?

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Aug 11 00:39:50 UTC 1999

> I have seen a couple of responses to the memory leak
> question:
>
> 1) From Jean-Luc Leboutet <jl.leboutet at lfdj.com
>    Patch for Solaris 2.7 fixes memory leak
>
> 2) From Mark_Andrews at isc.org
>    Mis-configured server should specify max datasize.
>
> My questions:
>
> 1) Is there a problem with Solaris 2.6?  If yes, is
>    there a patch?
>
> 2) Does the problem go away if the server
>    is "properly" configured -or- do you still need
>    the patch?
>
> - Leo

	I would apply the patch as it effects programs wanting to use
	the DNS on the Solaris 7 boxes.  As for Solaris 2.6 check
	sunsolve to see if there is a related patch.

	As for you original problem, you seem to think 20 MB for a
	nameserver is a lot of memory.  It is not.  Just allow named
	to get more memory as it needs it for the load you are putting
	on it.

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org