Naming the Nameservers

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Aug 6 15:08:11 UTC 1999

In article <19990805214235.A8362 at netapp.com>,
David Carmean  <dave at west.net> wrote:
>I'm looking for ideas for a naming scheme for these servers that
>makes clear the distinction between the two functions.  One case
>I remember, for a large ISP, had the authoritative/published
>servers named NS1, NS2, etc., and the caching-only (presumably)
>servers for the clients named DNS1, DNS2, etc.  I'd use
>ns-resolver-1, etc, but I'd rather find something shorter.

We're switching to DNSAUTH1, DNSAUTH2, etc. for our authoritative servers.
In the past our caching servers were named <loc>-dns-cache1,
<loc>-dns-cache2, etc., where <loc> is an abbreviation of the POP.  We've
switched to a scheme where we don't use location-specific names; instead,
we've assigned the same virtual addresses to servers distributed throughout
our network, and we let our backbone routing protocol arrange for queries
to go to the closest server.  The names we gave to these are VNSC-PRI
(Virtual Name Server Caching PRImary), VNSC-BAK (... BAcKup), and VNSC-LC
(... Last Chance).  The names of caching servers aren't too important,
since they have to be configured by IP address (we gave them easily
remembered addresses).

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com