[Kea-users] Kea DDNS update-on-renew

Isaac Brummel ibrummel at xes-inc.com
Thu Mar 28 19:50:14 UTC 2024

Hi,

I have Kea running in a network that has short lived hosts so the lease time is set to 10 minutes. I have the "ddns-update-on-renew" setting enabled to provide some DNS healing if a record gets removed for whatever reason. The issue I've run into is the DDNS services performs a REMOVE then ADD of the record on renew. This causes a brief moment where the DNS record doesn't exist and querying the record returns nothing. I like the idea of having the "ddns-update-on-renew" setting enabled but this the issue has become problematic. Is there a way the DDNS service can more intelligently detect if the DNS record truly needs updating, almost like a "create or update on renew"? I looked through the documentation and hooks but did not come up with anything, except for possibly utilizing the "run script" hook to perform custom logic. Curious if the community has any ideas about this. Related, does Bind offer a better integration with Kea? Currently I am using PowerDNS which the DDNS services just sends standard dynamic dns add/remove requests to.

Thanks,
Isaac