[Kea-users] KEA Option 17 structure (example)

Marek Hajduczenia mxhajduczenia at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 03:50:56 UTC 2024

 Dear mailing list users,

I have been trying to create an Option 17 with a specific structure for a
vendor with the ID of 14810, where all I have is a sub-option 1, containing
a string with an arbitrary FQDN. I have a working code for ISC DHCP, but I
have not been able to locate a working example of an implementation for
Kea.

# ADB VSIO
option space worldbox_adb code width 2 length width 2 hash size 1;
option worldbox_adb.bmc code 1 = text;
option vsio.worldbox_adb code 14810 = encapsulate worldbox_adb;

# use the option within a subnet
option worldbox_adb.bmc "tmpwh2.cvs.adbglobal.com";

My failed attempt to translate looks like the following, but it does not
produce any particular output as confirmed with the packet capture. DNS
servers are present, so I am sure the config is parsed correctly.

                "option-data": [
                                {
                                        "name": "dns-servers",
                                        "data": "2001:db8:2::dead:beef,
2001:db8:2::cafe:babe"
                                }, {
                                        "space": "vendor-14810",
                                        "name": "bmc",
                                        "data": "tmpwh2.cvs.adbglobal.com"
                                }, {
                                        "name": "vendor-14810-bmc"
                                } ]
                } ],

                "option-def": [ {
                        // We define a short name, so the option can be
referenced by name.
                        // The option has code 2 and resides within vendor
space 25167.
                        // Its data is a plain string.
                        "name": "bmc",
                        "code": 1,
                        "space": "vendor-14810",
                        "type": "string",
                        "array": false,
                        "encapsulate": ""
                }, {
                        "name": "vendor-14810-bmc",
                        "code": 14810,
                        "type": "empty",
                        "space": "dhcp6",
                        "encapsulate": "bmc"
                } ],

I did not see any example showing how to build Option 17 anywhere. Any
pointers / examples would be really appreciated.

Marek