[Kea-users] Adding a lease via lease4-add API call

Nicolò Borghi borghi.nicolo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 08:46:21 UTC 2024

Hi,

I'll elaborate a bit on my own question.

First question, still holds: what would be one of those cases when it is convenient to create the lease manually?

Second question: no, the leased IP must be within the pool (unlike host reservations)

Third question: this remains, but is changed a bit. Below is the updates.

Via the REST API, I called lease4-add and added a MAC-IP pair to the memfile.
I then switched on the target host (expecting an IP to do PXE boot) and it worked just fine. So far, it does indeed look like the poor man's alternative to host reservation.

What I'm wondering is this: how likely is it for the target MAC to receive a different IP than specified in the lease? I mean, is this method really robust against unpredictable IP re-assignment?

Cheers,
Nicolò.