[Kea-users] Question regarding to HA for kea-dhcp6 VMs

Xiao, Yu (CCI-Atlanta) yu.xiao at cox.com
Thu Feb 29 21:04:52 UTC 2024

Greetings,

I have an interesting question for you esp for ISC developers. I want to only use kea-dhcp6, which means I need VMs working as DHCP servers to provide IPv6 addresses to other devices so those clients can have IPv6 addresses. But I don’t care or need that my kea-dhcp6 servers themselves have IPv6 addresses or not.

But the problem is that in the documentation, I can see they give some examples which all put the redundancy configurations under the Dhcp4 configuration section. Does it imply that in order to use the HA feature for kea-dhcp6 servers, my DHCP servers themselves must be configured to have their own IPv6 addresses? I don’t think this makes any sense since in reality we only need the connectivity between primary and secondary servers no matter this connectivity is based on IPv4 or IPv6.

"Dhcp4": {
    "hooks-libraries": [
        {
            "library": "/usr/lib/kea/hooks/libdhcp_lease_cmds.so",
            "parameters": { }
        },
        {
            "library": "/usr/lib/kea/hooks/libdhcp_ha.so",
            "parameters": {
                "high-availability": [ {
                    "this-server-name": "server1",
                    "mode": "load-balancing",
                    "peers": [
                        {
                            "name": "server1",
                            "url": http://192.168.56.33:8000/,
                            "role": "primary"
                        },
                        {
                            "name": "server2",
                            "url": http://192.168.56.66:8000/,
                            "role": "secondary"
                        }
                    ],
                    "state-machine": {
                        "states": [
                            {
                                "state": "waiting",
                                "pause": "once"
                            }
                        ]
                    }
                } ]
            }
        }
    ],
}

May I ask can I configure my servers like this?

"Dhcp6": {

    "hooks-libraries": [

        {

[...]

Related section: