[Kea-users] different lease times

Jason Keltz jas at yorku.ca
Wed Apr 3 14:56:22 UTC 2024

Hi Darren,

Yes - "lease-lifetime" was my error - I meant "valid-lifetime".
I understand that I cannot apply "valid-lifetime" to a pool (although I
feel like I should be able to).
I already define client-class as "KNOWN" in all my pools so that unknown
hosts can't get an IP, and I understand that I can't use a second
client-class of "short-lease" in each pool.
I looked in the Kea code where options are defined, and thought I would
be able to add:

            {
                 "name": "dhcp-lease-time",
                 "data": "300"
             }

... to "option-data" section for each host, but this didn't work
either.  I see that in the Kea docs, all-options.json skips from code 49
to code 52, thereby skipping over code 51 which is lease time.

I tried adding "code": 51, to the section to my option above, but it
didn't make any difference.

I tried adding "valid-lifetime" to the "reservations" section to see if
that would work, but it would not.

Therefore, I'm still not sure how to implement different lease times for
pools.

Jason.