[Kea-users] DDNS limitations - ddns-qualifying-suffix vs domain-name

Darren Ankney darren.ankney at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 23:26:22 UTC 2023

Hi Vladimir,

The DHCPv4 domain-name option (15) isn't meant for use with ddns.  It
is a search domain that the client should use when performing name
resolution.  See: https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2132#section-3.17

You can set ddns-qualifying-suffix at the global, shared-network and
subnet level.  In a host reservation, you can use the "hostname"
parameter to specify a FQDN to send to the client and for use in DDNS.
See here: https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.4.0/arm/dhcp4-srv.html#reserving-a-hostname