[Kea-users] DDNS limitations - ddns-qualifying-suffix vs domain-name

Vladimir Nikolic vladimir at nikolic.si
Mon Oct 16 22:23:42 UTC 2023

Hi,

While trying to migrate DHCP service from ISC DHCP to ISC KEA, we are
hitting following KEA limitations:

- option domain-name has no part in DDNS names construction, it's only
ddns-qualifying-suffix that's being honoured
- ddns-qualifying-suffix can't be specified in the class definition (we
have dedicated zone for our OOB devices)
- there can be only one DDNS zone for all the clients in a subnet
(ddns-qualifying-suffix), with ISC DHCP you can have one default
domain-name for a subnet and every single host reservation with a
different domain-name (DDNS zone)

Regards,
Vladimir