[Kea-users] Missing features from dhcp-eval

Vladimir Nikolic vladimir at nikolic.si
Sun Oct 15 18:40:19 UTC 2023

Let's say I want to send custom next-server and filename to PXE clients,
depending on subnet in which they are located.

In dhcpd, I define a new option, e.g.:
option something-new code 250 = string;

Then I set its value in some of the subnets:
subnet xyz {
     option something-new "my-value";

And within a class definition, I can set up options (e.g. next-server
and filename) based on the value of something-new option (defined within
subnets):
class "PXEClients" {
     match if substring(option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) =
"PXEClient";
     if config-option something-new = "my-value"
         next-server my-new-server;
         filename "my-new-filename";
     } else {
         next-server my-old-server;
         filename "my-old-filename";
     }

So it's one class with different next-server/filename options, based on
the subnet in which clients live.

 From what I've seen so far, you can't do something similar in KEA.
You have to define next-server and filename in every of those subnets,
and that will apply to all the clients in that subnet (not just to those
belonging to PXEClients class).

Thanks