[Kea-users] KEA MySQL Database Backend Tips

Geist, Dan (CCI-Atlanta) Dan.Geist at cox.com
Tue Nov 21 14:46:05 UTC 2023

Hi, Cody. It depends on a lot of factors (related to the way Kea is using the db as well as the db engine itself):

  *   What are you trying to DO with the replica(s)?
     *   Offline analysis and reporting?
     *   Real-time hot-hot availability?
     *   Hot/warm standby?
     *   Multi-site diversity?
  *   What data are you putting there?
     *   Leases/config/both?
  *   How many services nodes are going to be accessing them (and which side is authoritative for the information).
  *   How important is performance in your setup? Do you have some performance overhead or are you trying to squeeze out every bit of compute power?
  *   Are you going to be supporting the replication internally with FOSS or are you open to a commercial solution?

PostgreSQL has some tempting advantages over MySQL with native data structures and the like but (IMHO) a little bit more of a learning curve for folks who aren’t already RDBMS admins. The best solution is usually the one you and your team have the ability to operate successfully that meets your needs, not necessarily the technically superior one.

Both MySQL and PostgreSQL have open as well as commercial clustering / HA options but how you want to intend to USE the overall system makes a huge difference.

Dan