[Kea-users] a few questions from a Kea newbie

Jason Keltz jas at yorku.ca
Mon Nov 13 21:50:56 UTC 2023

Hi.

I'm investigating migrating from ISC DHCPd to Kea and running into a few
issues.

I see some conflicting information online, due to kea development over
time, so I was hoping to ask here for some clarification.

1) Is it really necessary to install a database backend such as
Postgres/MySQL if I want to have static host reservations?  This was
working so perfectly with dhcpd without any db backend for such a long
time.  Not having a DB backend on the DHCP server means one less thing
to worry about when Kea is updated, or the DB updated.   I accept that
performance of the DB is likely going to be better than the reservations
being stored in a text file, but for my basic setup, it just doesn't
matter to me. The simplicity of not needing a DB for this over-rides the
performance gain that may be attained with a DB.  I just want to be sure
that I haven't overlooked something.

2) Does Kea permit multiple ethernet addresses mapped to the same IPv4
IP?  I do this for multiple reasons - for example, I may have a server
that has 2 ethernet addresses, and when I plug it in, whether I use one
or the other network port, the IP should be the same.  Obviously I
shouldn't plug in both or things would break, but that would be my
problem.  At the same time, maybe a laptop has an ethernet port built
in, but when plugged into a dock that has its own network port, I want
the machine to get the same IP one way or the other (static
reservation).  Now, I think I can permit this by enabling
"ip-reservations-unique" to false, but I wanted to clarify.  Again, I
did this with DHCPd all the time.

3) Finally - does Kea permit multiple IPv4 IPs for the same ethernet
address?  I believe that "ip-reservations-unique" does not permit this,
yet this is more important for me, and I did this with dhcpd.  For
example, in different places in the building there are different VLANs.
Most hosts just get a static IP reservation from DHCP.  99% of hosts
will ever be on one VLAN. However, for say, my test laptop that has a
single IP reserved on every VLAN - can Kea handle this scenario?

Answers to these questions would be a great start!

Thanks for reading..

Jason.