[Kea-users] DHCP disable NETBIOS

Neil Romig courier at countrybusdevon.co.uk
Fri Mar 24 06:33:22 UTC 2023

Hi,

As a new Kea user I have struggled to get to grips with DHCP option 43 and its usage! I'm looking for confirmation that I've done this in the best (or most efficient) way, so any comments would be
gratefully received, and perhaps in posting this it will help someone else looking for the "recipe". The config I've added to kea-dhcp4.conf is:

    "option-def": [
        {
            "name": "disable-netbios",
            "code": 1,
            "space": "vendor-encapsulated-options-space",
            "type": "uint32"
        }
    ],
    "client-classes": [
        {
            "name": "MSFT_5_0",
            "test": "option[60].hex == 'MSFT 5.0'",
            "option-data": [
                {
                    "name": "disable-netbios",
                    "code": 1,
                    "space": "vendor-encapsulated-options-space",
                    "data": "00000002"
                },
                {
                    "name": "vendor-encapsulated-options"
                }
            ]
        }
    ],
    "option-data": [
        {
            "code": 43,
            "name": "vendor-encapsulated-options"
        },
    ],

It looks to be working, and the log file shows the option sent:

      type=043, len=006:,
        type=001, len=004: 2 (uint32)

Regards,

Neil.