[Kea-users] Kea HA issue with terminating connection

sebastians sebastians at selfnet.de
Sat Jun 10 15:52:24 UTC 2023

Hi all,

we recently migrated our DHCP setup from dhcpd to Kea. It runs on
two servers with hot standby and a memfile backend for the leases. Kea
assigns IP addresses for around 7000 pools.

Over the past few months the HA connection terminated in random intervals.
>From looking at the logs on the passive node I can see a lot of
'ResourceBusy: IP address ... could not be updated' warnings prior to
the connection terminating. Since multithreading is enabled I suspected
this may be due to the threads encountering a resource lock on the memfile.
I suppose after the lease update fails a few times, the connection is terminated.

Is the 'ResourceBusy' warning the cause for the terminating HA connection and
is there any way to fix the underlying issue? Any ideas on the issue are greatly
appraciated.

Thanks,

Sebastian