[Kea-users] Reservations via hostnames

Darren Ankney darren.ankney at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 16:50:39 UTC 2023

Hi,

> Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2023 at 2:40 PM
> From: "Darren Ankney" <darren.ankney at gmail.com>
> >
> > I think I may have misunderstood what you were asking for.  Can you
> > please provide an example configuration from ISC DHCP as I think that
> > will explain best what you are trying to achieve.
>
> This is what I do on the old ISC dhcpd:
>
> host myhost {
>   hardware ethernet 08:00:aa:bb:cc:dd;
>   fixed-address myhost;
> }
>
> But as I understand this feature was dropped for good, am I correct?

It is currently not possible to do this in Kea.  Kea requires an IP
address to be used.  For example:

"reservations": [
  {
    "hw-address": "08:00:aa:bb:cc:dd",
    "ip-address": "192.0.2.10"
  }
]

Kea would not expect to find a name in an ip-address field.  If you
think this should be a feature (and it would likely be implemented as
a different parameter than ip-address), then you could create an issue
in Gitlab: https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea regarding this.
The worst that could happen is that the development team says no.

Thank you,

Darren Ankney