[Kea-users] CA HANDSHAKE_FAILED TLS failed with wrong version number

Rick Frey gribnut at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 00:36:17 UTC 2023

Hello CS,
It is helpful to know which version of Kea you are using.  Based upon your earlier thread, assuming you are running Kea 2.2.0?

As noted in the Kea documentation, TLS support is provided by the underlying crypto library used to build your package of Kea.  See https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.4.1/arm/security.html.   TLS 1.3 is supported when built with appropriate version of crypto library.

Assuming Kea DHCP server and kea-shell are able to communicate with your CA over TLS and issue is limited to the micetro client.   While micetro capabilities is not a topic for this mailing list, you may want to verify that micetro supports TLS connections to the Kea CA (or run a packet capture to see if using HTTPS and TLS version supported by client).   I believe the same/similar error occurs if the client attempts to connect via non-TLS/plain HTTP to a CA configured to use TLS.