[Kea-users] DHCPv6 Option 37

Darren Ankney darren.ankney at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 10:36:16 UTC 2023

Hi Nich,

> I searched around a bit on the archive, but I wasn’t seeing anyone talk about logging DHCPv6 Option 37. This is the only thing keeping us from moving from ISC-DHCP to Kea. I haven’t found a way to enable this logging without a mystery forensics license I cannot find any information on. The support pricing is 100 times our willingness to pay, so I cannot use that.

You can find the hooks for sale without a support contract here:
https://www.isc.org/shop/

> Does anyone have a method of logging option 37? https://labs.ripe.net/author/teklov/persistent-dhcpv6-prefix-delegation-at-gavlenet/ shows parsing option 37 from debug information. Is parsing the debug information something anyone has done in production?

I have done that in production.  I may not be the best at software
engineering, and there was database storage involved (i.e., parsing
the debug log and saving the results in MariaDB database), but I was
only able to achieve about 300 leases per second without the
processing of the debug logs falling behind.  This was all on the same
hardware with a low end quad core xenon processor and SSD storage.

Thank you,

Darren Ankney